6 jalapeno peppers
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onion
¼ teaspoon Head Country Championship Seasoning
½ cup Head Country BBQ Sauce (your choice of flavor)
3 tablespoons grated cheese. Sharp cheese adds a nice robust flavor
6 slices thin-cut bacon
12 wooden toothpicks, soaked (see notes)
20 - 30 mins
1. Slice each pepper in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and white membrane. (Seeds and the white membrane are where most of the heat comes from).
2. Place cream cheese in a microwavable bowl and heat for 20 seconds to soften. Stir the cream cheese and chives (or green onion), seasoning and grated together. Fill pepper halves with the cream cheese mixture.
3. Slice bacon slices in half. Wrap one piece of bacon around each filled pepper-half. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
6. Arrange the peppers, filling side facing up, onto the baking sheet.
7. Bake until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are tender; 20 to 25 minutes. The last 3 minutes brush a glaze of BBQ sauce on the peppers and bake for remaining time.
4. Heat grill to medium-high heat.
5. Place a grill basket or aluminum foil on the grill. This prevents the poppers from falling through or sticking to the grates.
6. Arrange the peppers, filling side facing up, in the basket or on foil.
7. Grill until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are tender; 15 to 20 minutes. The last 3 minutes brush a glaze of BBQ sauce on the peppers.
Tips and Tricks
Use plastic gloves when handling the peppers. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. Wash hands thoroughly after working the peppers.
2-3 stands of pulled pork on top of the cream cheese filling almost makes these appetizers a meal by itself.